Utility 2019 Wildfire Mitigation Plans
On Feb. 6, 2019, utilities submitted their wildfire mitigation plans:
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company and this PDF
- Southern California Edison and this PDF
- San Diego Gas & Electric and this PDF
- Liberty Utilities/CalPeco Electric and this PDF
- Bear Valley Electric Service and this PDF
- PacifiCorp and this PDF
- NextEra Energy Transmission West
- Trans Bay Cable
Utility 2019 WMP Data Requests, Responses, Websites
Utility 2019 Wildfire Mitigation Plan Progress
- Jan. 15, 2020: PG&E Progress Report
- Jan. 15, 2020: SCE Progress Report
- Jan. 15, 2020: SDG&E Progress Report
- February 5, 2020: CPUC Issues Proposal Requiring Utilities to Conduct Multi-Cultural Outreach for Wildfires (CPUC Press Release)
On May 30, 2019, the Commission approved the wildfire mitigation plans of the utilities and transmission owners, subject to several conditions. Final versions of the decisions appear below, along with a press release and fact sheet summarizing the decisions.
- Guidance Decision (DOC) | Guidance Decision (PDF)
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (DOC) | Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PDF)
- Southern California Edison (DOC) | Southern California Edison (PDF)
- San Diego Gas & Electric (DOC) San Diego Gas & Electric (PDF)
- Small and Multijurisdictional Utilities (Liberty, Bear Valley, and PacifiCorp) (DOC) | Small and Multijurisdictional Utilities (Liberty, Bear Valley, and PacifiCorp) (PDF)
- Independent Transmission Operators (Horizon West and Trans Bay Cable) (DOC) | Independent Transmission Operators (Horizon West and Trans Bay Cable) (PDF)
- Read our press release
- Read our fact sheet
Phase 2 of the proceeding began in June 2019, focused on the following issues:
- Develop metrics to evaluate the Plans and process for handling next year’s Plans that allows more time for review.
- Evaluate PG&E’s second amended Plan, filed too late for review on April 25, 2019.
- Kick off the Commission’s independent evaluation of the Plans.
- Familiarize stakeholders with the pending update of CAL FIRE’s Powerline Fire Prevention Field Guide (Field Guide), which contains standards, statutes, and regulations necessary to minimize the occurrences of wildfires that may be caused by the power lines and related equipment.
- Examine whether electrical corporations should conduct wildfire outreach in additional languages beyond those adopted in Phase 1 (English, Spanish, Chinese languages, Tagalog, Vietnamese, as well as Russian and Korean where prevalent).
September 2019 Workshops
On September 17, 18 and 19, 2019, workshops were held on implementing utility wildfire mitigation plans.
- Implementing Utility Wildfire Mitigation Plans (Phase 2) (Day 3) September 19, 2019 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Implementing Utility Wildfire Mitigation Plans (Phase 2) (Day 2) September 18, 2019 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Implementing Utility Wildfire Mitigation Plans (Phase 2) (Day 1) September 17, 2019 at 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Opening public comments and reply comments were received in November 2019.